Irish: chirt

< Previous | Next >

L'irlandais

Ireland: English-speaking ♂
Hello,
In the context of the inaugural speech of Ireland's new President, can somebody tell me what "an chirt" means.
lán-dóchasach go bhfuilimid ar tháirseach ré nua d'Éirinn agus d'Éireannaigh, sa bhaile agus i gcéin. Ré nua ina mbeidh bunluacha na cothroime agus an chirt, agus spiorad na cruthaíochta, faoi bhláth: poblacht, a mbeidh Éireannaigh de gach aicme agus traidisiún bródúil aisti.
Thanks

• Banbha

Irish & English
    Dé do bheatha a L'irlandais :)

Cirt is the Tuiseal Ginideach (Genetive case) of the word 'ceart'. And because it's masculine and in the genetive form, it takes a séimhiú to become 'an chirt'
    Cothrom is also in the Tuiseal Ginideach to become cothroime so both words are 'possessions' of the word bunluacha in the given sentence so they both change.
    So in this context Michael D Higgins is referring to being grateful that we are on the threshold of a new period for Ireland at home and abroad, a period where the fundamental values of fairness/equality and justice will blossom :)

Last edited:

L'irlandais

Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    Dia is Muire dhuit Banbha,

My Oxford Irish Dictionary (a tiny pocket version) gave cothroime as eveness/balance, but that at least that helped me loosely capture the meaning of the word. To be honest I was surprised that although Áras an Uachtaráin give an all Irish version of the speech, no all English version was proposed. ~shrug~ I suppose they want to encourage us to get our Irish Dictionaries out once in a while. Anyway, your take on it makes it much clearer to me.

Go raibh míle maith agat,

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >