Irish Gaelic: ráiméis

< Previous | Next >

L'irlandais

Ireland: English-speaking ♂
Well I'm just back from the Home country.
Dipped again in West Cork English : Obviously Boreen (Bóithrín) for "small country lane" was heard quite often during my stay.

However one that's puzzling me right now is rámeis. Heard several times in conversation, and spotted once when reading.
Níl ann ach raiméis (It’s nothing but nonsense)
Firstly any ideas how to spell it correctly?
Secondly any ideas what it means literally, rather than simply meaning "nonsense"

• Brioche

Australia English
    According to this website http://www.irishdictionary.ie/home

ráiméis = gibberish, drivel, rigmarole

Last edited:

L'irlandais

Thanks Brioche,
    The Oxford Irish dictionary gives :
    ráiméis nf2 ráiméis (chainte)! nonsense!
    Which more or less answers my questions on spelling and general meaning of the word.
    = saying (from the verb abair)
    So it looks like "" plus some other word in Irish.
    Since it's about speech ; any of the synonyms you suggest work quite well in this context. It shares the prefix with rámhaille (delirium, raving, delusion) for example. (Though I haven't heard yet this second term used as a loan-word in West Cork English.)

Last edited:

L'irlandais

"... "Nonsense" would be the most direct translation I would use.
    Hi el Irlandes,
    Thanks for the reply, I agree the direct translation is clear. I was just wondering (out loud) if a parallel could be drawn between
    "" + "mhaille" and "" + "i méis". If so what were the meaning of the "add-on" words might be, in each case.

(It's a fright my Irish is still so poor, given that I now speak fluent French and a fair old smattering of German.)

< Previous | Next >