Irish: Meas

• elirlandes

Ireland English
    Indeed - and I would also spell it as you have in the original Irish. [Pronounced like "mass" for our non-Irish speaking friends].

It is also used often at the end of an English language letter in the phrase "Is mise le meas" [lit. I am [yours] with respect]. Letters to the editor of the Irish Times often sign off like this.

Similarly, letters are often started "A Chara" which means "[My] Friend".

L'irlandais has also signed off his post with "Slán go fóill" - also often used by English speakers in Ireland which translates as "see you later", or "slán". "Slán" means "safe", from which "Slán go fóill" is something like "stay safe until later".

L'irlandais

Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    How're ya,
    Mods dampened my enthusiasm for posting of late, as our topic is a little unsuited to the format of the forum. Thanks for the contributions anyways.

I came across an Irish loan-word in French : The word fiacre, in French is a small four-wheeled carriage for hire, a hackney-coach.
    Called after a Parisian Hotel near where these cabbies lined up. The hotel was itself called after Saint Fiacre, a seventh century Irish-born saint who lived in France for most of his life.

HockeyGurl14

English
    I realize this is quite an old post, therefore, not sure if it will be seen. I’m certain the answers are all set by now, haha. I came across this, as my last name is Irish, so I’m doing some research on my ancestry, etc.
    I figured it couldn’t hurt to add a few things here...
    L’irlandais, as confirmed by elirlandes, it definitely means ‘respect.’ I chose this word carefully and specifically for my only tattoo, and being Irish I had to go with ‘Meas’ (designed in script by a wonderful artist friend, with a ☘ coming up from the ‘s’).

elirlandes, it’s my understanding that it also means ‘sincerely.’ Hence the salutation ‘Le Meas’ (with respect) used frequently.
    I’m guessing that a lot of this is old news, but I’m having fun learning as I continue to research.
    Beir bua agus beannacht,
    (Which I THINK means Best Wishes), HockeyGurl14

< Previous | Next >