Irish: Where there's a will, there's a way

raoulb

Luxembourgish - Luxembourg
Hello,

please, i need the translation of the proverb "where there's a will, there's a way".

I have found so many different translations on the net, that i'm completely lost.

Many thanks for your help

raoulb

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Highland Thing

English, Welsh
    The Irish equivalent of this is "fonn a níos fiach", which roughly means that a desire (for something) will make you go hunting (for a way to get it).

raoulb

thank you.
    in addition I would need two variations of the english "where there's a will, there's a way": "where there's a way, there's a goal" and "where there's a goal, there's a will". Could these variations work with "fonn a níos fiach"?

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    Fonn a níos fiach just means where there's a will there's a way, nothing else. The English sentences you mention aren't proverbs so there is no existing corresponding Irish phrase - you would have to make something up, and it wouldn't sound like a proverb then.

raoulb

even if it doesn't sound like a proverb, is it possible to change only one or two words (as I did in english) to obtain the different meaning?
    like: desire makes you go hunting. Hunting makes you know, what you hunt for. Knowing what you hunt for, makes you desire.

raoulb

How about "Necessity is the mother of invention"?
    isn't exactly the same. in another forum i got these translations, which i really like a lot:

Áit a bhfuil toil tá bealach. = Where there’s a will there’s a way.
    Áit a bhfuil bealach tá aidhm. = Where there’s a way there’s a goal.
    Áit a bhfuil aidhm tá toil. =Where there’s a goal there’s a will.

of which the first is to be found here: where - Translation to Irish Gaelic with audio pronunciation of translations for where by New English-Irish Dictionary

could you confirm these?

< Previous | Next >