Irony had it that

< Previous | Next >

Stephanagreg

FRANCE FRENCH
Hello,

Would you say there is a significant difference in meaning between "Irony had it that (etc.)" and "As irony would have it, (etc.)"

Would you say that each expression is as common as the other?

Many thanks

• Kelly B

USA English
    I really dislike the first, though I cannot say it is wrong. I not overly fond of the second either, but it's better. It's a matter of style, I suppose.
    I do not really perceive a significant difference in meaning, except that the you've written the first for the past tense. It could be equally written "irony has it that..." in which case I'd interpret them the same way.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Stephanagreg said:
    Would you say there is a significant difference in meaning between "Irony had it that (etc.)" and "As irony would have it, (etc.)"

Would you say that each expression is as common as the other?
    Taking into account Kelly B's comment on tense, no I wouldn't. I would say that each expression is probably as uncommon as the other. They are not the kind of expression that most of us use frequently. So the choice is likely to be entirely one of style and how you feel on the day. I say you, because I can't imagine ever wanting to say this myself:confused:

river

U.S. English
    I've seen "As life's irony would have it. . ." and "Our carpet was cleaned while we were away and as irony would have it, Ella already has colored on it and trickled strawberry juice from her chin upon it. ... "

< Previous | Next >