irrelevant "include"

< Previous | Next >

emll

French - France
Hi all,

I am editing a document that has probably been translated to English from another language, and it tends to use "include" in wrong contexts. Here is one sentence that I've been trying to improve for ages, but I just can't seem to find a word that fits. "This subclass includes the application of physical laws and principles of engineering in the design, development and utilization of machines"

To me, it seems that the word include would be appropriate to designate the actual specialities (it's a classification system for architects' offices).

Thanks a lot, I'm really having trouble with that one!

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Greetings, emll!

Welcome to the forum. :)

I am having a little difficulty in being sure I understand the sentence.

Are application, development and utilization a list of things that are in the subclass? Or are they things that the subclass does?

Could you rephrase the sentence in other words?

Last edited:

emll

French - France
    The text is a classification in classes and subclasses of engineering and architecture services. Therefore, in one subclasses are several types of firm branches that have specific specialities and activities. Therefore, the subclass includes those activities but doesn't do them, which is why the use of the verb "to include" seems wrong to me.
    For instance, in another sentence, I have replaced changed it to "This subclass consists of the gathering of information on the portion of the earth", if that makes sense. Sorry I can't give more context!

Thanks for your help

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I am still not sure I understand. Would either of these work?

This subclass of activities [services/ specialties] includes ....
    This subclass is concerned with ....

(A side note: Unless I misunderstand, I would prefer "the application to":
    ... the application of physical laws and principles of engineering to the design ....)

< Previous | Next >