irrelevant

< Previous | Next >

meramli

turkish
global politics-andrew heywood

For theorists of globalization, this trend towards global interconnectedness is not only perhaps the defining feature of modern existence, but also requires that traditional approaches to learning need to be rethought, in this case by adopting a ‘borderless’ or ‘transplanetary’ approach to politics.

However, the notion that politics – and, for that matter, everything else – has been caught up in a swirl of interconnectedness that effectively absorbs all of its parts, or ‘units’, into an indivisible, global whole, is very difficult to sustain. The claim that we live in a ‘borderless world’, or the assertion that the stateis dead and sovereignty is irrelevant (Ohmae 1990, 1996), remain distinctly fanciful ideas. In no meaningful sense has politics at the global level transcended politics at the national, local or, for that matter, any other level.

I I know the meaning of 'irrelevant' is 'not connected with or relevant to something.' but it don't seems meaningful above, or i couldn't solve, can you help?

• Mahantongo

English (U.S.)
    It means "the assertion that the concept of sovereignty has no importance or significance (when discussing politics) is not a realistic idea."

owlman5

English-US
    Ohmae is telling you that some theorists believe that sovereignty is irrelevant in politics today. Ohmae doesn't believe this claim.

Ohmae apparently believes that sovereignty is relevant in politics. I agree. No matter how interconnected different nations are, the state and its sovereignty are still relevant considerations in political decisions. Political leaders still consider their nations to be sovereign units that have the right to act in their own self-interest. That self-interest doesn't always correspond with the self-interest of other nations.

Cross-posted with Mahantongo.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    "irrelevant" has its normal meaning:

The claim that (a) we live in a ‘borderless world’, or (b)(i) the assertion that the state is dead and (ii) sovereignty is irrelevant [not relevant to the matter we are considering] (Ohmae 1990, 1996), remain distinctly fanciful ideas.

< Previous | Next >