irrespective of any

Subhajit12

Hindi
Hi there, can anyone please tell me whether I should use singular or plural nouns after irrespective of any? I have searched the Internet and found that both singular and plural nouns are used though plural nouns were more in number.

Here is the context:

Terrorism is a menace. We must come together to end it. Irrespective of any compromise(s) the world should take action against those fringe elements.

• rhitagawr

British English
    Irrespective of is irrelevant in this context. Any can be singular or plural.
    The prisoners were released irrespective of any charges that had been brought against them. Plural.
    You'll be released irrespective of any crime you may have committed. Singular.

Subhajit12

Hindi
    Irrespective of is irrelevant in this context. Any can be singular or plural.
    The prisoners were released irrespective of any charges that had been brought against them. Plural.
    You'll be released irrespective of any crime you may have committed. Singular.
    So can I use both singular and plural nouns in my given context? And could you please tell what the difference is between the singular and plural nouns in the given context? :)

rhitagawr

British English
    Whether you want a singular or plural noun has got nothing to do with irrespective of. The difference between singular and plural nouns is always the same regardless of the context.
    Have you got any apples?
    I haven't committed any crime
    You may have found more plural than singular nouns on the Internet. But that's just a coincidence. It doesn't bring out any grammatical point. So you can say irrespective of any result (singular) or irrespective of any problems (plural).

< Previous | Next >