IRS

Dryan

English - Northeastern U.S.
I am practicing translating this article into Italian. I was unsure of how appropriate it was to use l'Agenzia delle Entrate. Can I get away with l'IRS or is that strictly for Americans?

For now, the IRS says, while it agrees auditing more wealthy taxpayers would be a good idea, without adequate funding there’s nothing it can do. “Congress must fund and the IRS must hire and train appropriate numbers of [auditors] to have appropriately balanced coverage across all income levels,” the report said.

Per il momento, sebbene l'Agenzia delle Entrate concorda che sarebbe una buona idea controllare i redditi dei contribuenti più ricchi, senza fondi sufficienti non si può fare niente. "Il Congresso deve finanziare, e l'Agenzia delle Entrate deve assumere e preparare abbastanza [revisori contabili] per avere revisioni imparziali per ogni fascia di reddito," secondo il relazione.

Last edited:
  • symposium

Italian - Italy
    Personally I think that using the name of a tipically Italian institution when discussing a foreign equivalent might lead to some confusion. I suggest you clarify the matter by saying "L'IRS (l'Agenzia delle entrate statunitense)" or "L'IRS (l'ente governativo statunitense che si occupa della riscossione dei tributi)" and then keep using IRS throughout the article.

King Crimson

Modus in fabula
    Italiano
    I am practicing translating this article into Italian. I was unsure of how appropriate it was to use l'Agenzia delle Entrate. Can I get away with l'IRS or is that strictly for Americans?

For now, the IRS says, while it agrees auditing more wealthy taxpayers would be a good idea, without adequate funding there’s nothing it can do. “Congress must fund and the IRS must hire and train appropriate numbers of [auditors] to have appropriately balanced coverage across all income levels,” the report said.

Per il momento, sebbene l'Agenzia delle Entrate concorda che sarebbe una buona idea controllare i redditi dei contribuenti più ricchi, senza fondi sufficienti non si può fare niente. "Il Congresso deve finanziare, e l'Agenzia delle Entrate deve assumere e preparare abbastanza [revisori contabili] per avere revisioni imparziali per ogni fascia di reddito," secondo il relazione.
    Are we talking about Italy? If so, I'm a bit baffled by the reference to a US government body...

symposium

Italian - Italy
    I think Dryan wants to translate an article about the US government into Italian and he is wondering what the best way to render IRS is.

WR-addict

Italian Tuscany
    I agree with Symposium, post #2

IRS is more or less what corresponds to our Agenzia delle Entrate but, logically, it can’t be exactly structured the same way so, according to me, you should bypass the problem by doing like Symposium suggested.

Dryan

Personally I think that using the name of a tipically Italian institution when discussing a foreign equivalent might lead to some confusion. I suggest you clarify the matter by saying "L'IRS (l'Agenzia delle entrate statunitense)" or "L'IRS (l'ente governativo statunitense che si occupa della riscossione dei tributi)" and then keep using IRS throughout the article.
    Thanks! This sounds like a good plan.

Dryan

This might be a stupid question.

In general, if an Italian person came across L'IRS would you expect them to read "L'ai-ar-ess" or pronounce the letters natively "L'i-erre-esse"?
    I am assuming the latter.

Last edited:

Pietruzzo

Italian
    Just to be clear: "Effe-bi-i" or "Ef-bi-ai"?
    Ef-bee-eye. It's pronounced in English because that's the way we've been accustomed to with the movies and everything. That's not a general rule. If I come across an acronym that is new for me I usually pronounce it in Italian, as a new word if possible or saying the initial letters. To sum up, I would say "irs", not "i erre esse" or "eye ar es".

Cross posted

giginho

Italiano & Piemontese
    I'd read l'i-erre-esse and ef-bi-ai. The FBI is on movies and TV, while we never hear about IRS.
    There was, in the past, an athlete (may I call him an athlete???) in the WWF (world wrestling federation) that used to name himself as IRS = Irwin R Shyster which plays the role of a fiscal collector agent or something like that. Furthermore there's a song by Guns n' Roses in the album Chinese Democracy called IRS, so if I bumped into the acronym IRS I'd read it as "Ai ar es", but I agree with Blackman that most of the Italians would read it as i-erre-esse.

< Previous | Next >