is a matter of helping vs is about helping

Avdotia

Russian
Hello, everyone!
Are the following sentences correct and do they sound natural? Is the only difference between them that the first one is more formal than the second one?

'Teaching English for me is a matter of helping my students build a language skill rather than just passing on knowledge to them"
'Teaching English for me is about helping my students build a language skill rather than just passing on knowledge to them"

If you could help me with improving these sentences to make them sound better and more correct I would appreciate it very much! Thank you!

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    We can't proofread your sentences for you, but to address your specific question about "a matter of" vs "about," both are correct, but the second is a little more informal.

Avdotia

Russian
    Thank you, @Florentia52 and @RedwoodGrove ! I just need to come up with a formal sentence expressing the idea that in my teaching English, I put emphasis on helping my students build a language speaking skill. Could you tell me if I managed to express myself correctly in the sentence 'Teaching English for me is a matter of helping my students build a language skill rather than just passing on knowledge to them", please?

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    Try this:

Teaching English for me is a matter of helping my students build language skills rather than just passing on knowledge to them.

I like the sentence so far as it goes. I think you would be well served to follow up with another sentence that defines what you mean: "I put emphasis on both speaking and writing so that my students have a well-rounded experience in English." Something like that, anyway.