is a more pressing need than

cosima

Spanish, form Spain
Which of the options sounds more natural? It´s a formal letter, and they are discussing some recommendations about improvements for a Health Club.

a) "I feel that upgrading the changing rooms is a more pressing need than having a second sauna installed".

b) "There is a more pressing need for upgrading the changing rooms than for the installation of a second sauna".

Thank you very much for your help.

• twinkling

Czech Republic
    I don't very like the second sentence, because I think If you say 'need for something', it at first glance suggests that the something needs something else (hope it's clear :) ).

So, I'd probably use the first one. And I'd use think instead of feel.

Madrid829

US English, Great Lakes area
    They have different connotations. In the first, you say, I feel that..., so it's an opinion. In the second, there's no opinion: you're stating it as a fact.

You could also say something like:

There is a (much) greater need for... than for...

Hope that helps a little

Salvage

USA English
    Which of the options sounds more natural? It´s a formal letter, and they are discussing some recommendations about improvements for a Health Club.

a) "I feel that upgrading the changing rooms is a more pressing need than having a second sauna installed".

b) "There is a more pressing need for upgrading the changing rooms than for the installation of a second sauna".

Thank you very much for your help.
    More natural? As given, the first sentence is more natural.

The second is a little difficult to understand. I suggest putting the subject up front, avoiding the "There is", and matching parts of speech in the comparison.

"Upgrading the changing rooms is a more pressing than installing a second sauna."

The difficulty in understanding the example is that the reader expects another "-ing" word to compare with "upgrading". It never comes, so the reader must check back and find that "installation" is being compared to "upgrading." The name of this issue is parallelism.

As noted by others, the two sentences that you provided are not equivalent in terms of force and emotion. The first sentence is a thought, an opinion, much softer. The second is an assertion, almost demanding a response.

< Previous | Next >