Is a 'presentation card' a 'visiting card'? / calling card

< Previous | Next >

kuleshov

Spain Spanish
I know what a business or visiting card is, but I don't think they have anything to do with a presentation card, do they?

In fact, what's a presentation card?

• xqby

English (U.S.)
    A card used to help make a presentation? If you just give us two words and say "hey what are these?" it's hard to give a good answer.

kuleshov

Spain Spanish
    You are right. I was thinking of an abstract meaning. For example, if you dress smartly, you can say that the elegance of your clothes is your "visiting card." Or your manners or rapport when you deal with other people socially.

Or is it your "presentation card"? I hope not!!

Lis48

English - British
    Traditionally before you were "presented" to the queen, you would hand a special presentation card to the Chamberlain so that he could announce your name and rank. Nowadays I think it just refers to any card that is not a visiting or business card, e.g. one that accompanies a bunch of flowers or a wedding present to indicate who is presenting the gift.

Loob

English UK
    Personally, I have no idea what a presentation card is:(

Perhaps kuleshov can tell us where he found the term?

kuleshov

Spain Spanish
    I'm afraid it doesn't exist in English. That's the problem when you google an expression: everybody uses English translating from their mother tongue, so I'm sure it is a literal translation from Spanish. :eek:

Loob

English UK
    I think you're right, kuleshov.

I suspect that Spanish "presentation card" would normally translate as either "business card" or "visiting card".

AngelEyes

English - United States
    I was thinking of an abstract meaning. For example, if you dress smartly, you can say that the elegance of your clothes is your "visiting card."
    I do think you might mean the AE idiom "calling card."

It's a feature, a physical characteristic, or something actually tangible that you are known by.

From wiki, you can see that it can be an attribute or something that distinguishes you from everybody else.

Maybe someone might wear loud, garish ties and that item is tied to his reputation.

It can also be something specific.

From Free dictionary:
    A calling card
    1. something that shows a person or animal has been in a place. The beetles leave behind their calling cards: little white balls on the outside of the trees.
    Your dog might leave his "calling card" all over your back yard. :D

AngelEyes

kuleshov

Spain Spanish
    That's it, AngelEyes, a calling card; although it seems to have a negative connotation. Can we use a calling card as a synonym for the aura? I don't mean in the same sentence, but with the positive meaning of the term aura?

AngelEyes

English - United States
    That's it, AngelEyes, a calling card; although it seems to have a negative connotation. Can we use a calling card as a synonym for the aura? I don't mean in the same sentence, but with the positive meaning of the term aura?
    No, your aura is in a different category. It's usually spiritual, unseen energy that hovers around your body.

If it's a sexual energy you're feeling from a person, I might use the word charisma.

Calling cards are not always negative. Poop piles left by pets are. Loud, tacky clothing is seen as a humorous calling card. A distinctive hairdo might be someone's calling card.

And someone who always wears a beautiful perfume that people love has a very nice calling card. See how the most positive calling card starts to leak into the spiritual aura realm?

AngelEyes

< Previous | Next >