is about that superhero life

< Previous | Next >

Jeff Jacobs

Telugu
Wonder Woman and his team try to gain stones:

Banner: If we do this, how do we know it's gonna end any differently than it did before?
Carol: Because before you didn't have me.
WAR MACHINE: Hey, new girl? Everybody in this room is about that superhero life.

What's the meaning of "about that"?
Source: Avengers Endgame 2019

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    There is no "about that". The words appear together but don't form a couple. Everyone in the room "is about X", and X is "that superhero life".

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    In broad terms, yes, but, directly, no.
    About = taking part in
    Everyone in the room is taking part in the superhero life
    War Machine is in the room
    therefore
    War Machine is taking part in the superhero life.

In older English, it was possible to say "What are you about?" to mean "What are you doing/taking part in."
    In modern English, you can say "Wash your car and, while you are about it, you can wash my car too."

Last edited:

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    Wonder Woman and his team try to gain stones:

Banner: If we do this, how do we know it's gonna end any differently than it did before?
    Carol: Because before you didn't have me.
    WAR MACHINE: Hey, new girl? Everybody in this room is about that superhero life.

What's the meaning of "about that"?
    Source: Avengers Endgame 2019
    Right now in North American English this is a common phrase that seems to have come out of the fashion world and made it into social media and popular music but I have never heard spoken in real life.

In a fashion context a designer might say " this year it's all about short skirts and frills." It's expanded so a rapper might say "I'm all about the thug life."

It is a rapidly mutating catch phrase that in the example you quote means "everyone is totally committed to this super hero lifestyle."

The quote is too brief for me to tell if New Girl to whom this quote is addressed is Banner who is expressing doubts, or Carol who is being boastful and perhaps disrespectful of the longer standing members of the group.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    In a fashion context a designer might say " this year it's all about short skirts and frills." It's expanded so a rapper might say "I'm all about the thug life."
    The "it's all about X" usage is long-established and unremarkable. It's the one where "it" is replaced by a personal pronoun that's new to me.

< Previous | Next >