is absent any moral code

< Previous | Next >

siares

Slovak
Hello,
in Justified, I heard about a criminal:
He is absent any moral code.
Is this non-standard, or just unusual?
Also, what grammatical role does 'absent' have?
Thank you.

• siares

Slovak
    Thank you, GreenWhiteBlue. Yes, I presume that's what it means. In that case, it must be confined to that dialect, the series takes place in Harlan, Kentucky and has interesting speech with many dropped pronouns.

Korisnik116

Croatian
    Thank you, GreenWhiteBlue. Yes, I presume that's what it means. In that case, it must be confined to that dialect, the series takes place in Harlan, Kentucky and has interesting speech with many dropped pronouns.
    Pronouns?

I found this quote while googling: "Having said this we appreciate there is a greater need at this time—namely to satisfy the FATF that the Commission is absent any political influence and has no budgetary limitations on expending such funds as are necessary to properly carry out its functions."

siares

Slovak
    Thank you, Heypresto, Vik, Korisnik116.
    Pronouns?
    That was just a sidebar. 'Who you know drives a town car?'

Yes, if it's the same as 'without', then it must be preposition, thanks.
    preposition N. Amer. formal
    without: absent a willingness to negotiate, you can't have collective bargaining.
    'absent any context', we don't know. - I think that is an adverbial phrase, no?

He is without a moral code. What's 'is without X' here?

Packard

USA, English
    With the flexibility of a contortionist I created a sentence that uses both "absent" and "moral code". It sounds very "not right" to me, but I cannot pin down why.

Absent any thought processes to reflect on his actions he lacked a moral code.

Packard

USA, English
    I think it's because "lack" doesn't indicate any action.
    Absent any thought processes to reflect on his actions, he got rid of his moral code.:D
    I don't know how you get rid of something that you never had in the first place--but yes, your version of my contortionist sentence reads better than my version.

< Previous | Next >