Is "any of them" used with a singular or plural verb?

< Previous | Next >

Ahmed Al Saady

Arabic
Hi, everyone!
I hope every one of you is doing fine.

Well, about a year ago, I wrote a short story in my native language;
now, I'm translating it into English; the following line is a part of it:

"...he hopes to spend the remaining years of his life without any of the memories that remind/reminds him of the ones who hurt him."

My question is:
Should I write the word "REMIND" or "REMINDS" after the relative pronoun "that"—please help?

And can I omit the relative pronoun "that?"
Like this...
"...he hopes to spend the remaining years of his life without any of the memories reminding him of the ones who hurt him."

Thank you very much

• First: memories is plural. Hence 'remind' a plural verb. Ex1: Memories remind me of my family.

Second: "memories that remind" is to be treated as a unit. 'that' is restrictive. Precisely those memories that remind can be the subject of a sentence; thus a plural verb:

Ex2: Memories that remind me of my father *are* plentiful.

Last edited:

Ahmed Al Saady

Arabic
    First: memories is plural. Hence 'remind' a plural verb. Ex1: Memories remind me of my family.

Second: "memories that remind" is to be treated as a unit. 'that' is restrictive. Precisely those memories that remind can be the subject of a sentence; thus a plural verb:

Ex2: Memories that remind me of my father *are* plentiful.
    1st, thank you very much for the answer and explanation; it's appreciated!
    Well, I'm aware that "memories" is plural, but what confuses me is the word "any."
    Anyway, which means that "...he hopes to spend the remaining years of his life without any of the memories that REMIND (without "s") him of the ones who hurt him." is correct so, isn't it?
    Did I understand your explanation correctly?
    Than you very much!

< Previous | Next >