is / are

< Previous | Next >

NickJunior

Khmer
Please tell me which one(s) is/are correct.

1) Two minus one is one.

2) Two plus one is three.

3) Two time one is two.

4) Two divide by one is two.

Thanks

• NickJunior

Khmer
    1) Two minus one is one.:tick:

2) Two plus one is three.:tick:

3) Two times one is two.:tick:

4) Two divided by one is two.:tick:
    Hi, TinLizzy, can you please explain why the words minus and plus do not have the "es" endings? Thanks.

NickJunior

Khmer
    Sure Nick

Minus and plus are not plurals. The nus in minus does sound similar to nes. The us in plus is easier to hear. Listen: http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/plus

Hello again TinLizzy, thank you for providing me the website to the talking dictionary. I know I will return to it again and again to hear difficult words that I have a hard time pronouncing. Lizzy, I would like to ask you other questions. I have heard children say, "We do pluses and minuses." Do they speak correctly? Also can they say "We do times facts and divisions facts"? Thanks.

tinlizzy

USA - English
    Yes, the children are incorrect. But it's very common for children to speak this way because along with math, they are also learning English and the correct words are new vocabulary.

Correct: pluses=addition
    minuses=subtraction
    times=multiplication
    divisions=division

NickJunior

Khmer
    Yes, the children are incorrect. But it's very common for children to speak this way because along with math, they are also learning English and the correct words are new vocabulary.

Correct: pluses=addition
    minuses=subtraction
    times=multiplication
    divisions=division
    Thank again Lizzy. So the correct way of speaking is that it should be, We do addition, substraction, multiplication, and division. Now I know. Another one please Lizzy and I will stop. In the senentence, "Two divided by one is two", shouldn't the word divided be preceded by the word is? Thank in advance for helping me out.

tinlizzy

USA - English
    We do addition, substraction, multiplication, and division. :tick: In the sentence, "Two divided by one is two", shouldn't the word divided be preceded by the word is? No
    I think we need help from the English teachers for the correct reason.

NickJunior

Khmer
    In the sentence, "Two divided by one is two", shouldn't the word divided be preceded by the word is? No. I think we need help from the English teachers for the correct reason.
    Well, Lizzy, if it is naturally English to speak like that, then I will have to learn to speak the way you do too. You have been a great help to me in clarifying my confusion.

< Previous | Next >