is/has/has been

dumbfounded

persian
Do 'Is' and 'Has/has been' mean the same? I ve seen threads and what I got is this,
for example:
1.My security has expired.(is expired means the same but expired used as adjective)
2.Your work has been done.(is done as an adjective)
3. You have been selected.(are selected as adjective)

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Yes, so far as they go, and only in some circumstances. Don't imagine that what you read on those threads is a general rule.

You must always remember that has been is a past tense, and so it can be contradicted by a present tense. E.g.
    2. Your work has been done very well until this month, but in the last few days I find that it is done carelessly.
    3. You have been selected as secretary for the past three years; today you are selected as chairman.

dumbfounded

persian
    Thanks. It means that when Is and adjective are used together in a sentence means that some of the thing happened recently.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    It's rather that, as a present tense, it conveys a present meaning.
    • Your work is done = Your work has been completed and remains completed.
    • My security is expired = It ran out some time in the past and still has not been renewed.
    But I have to say that, in all your three cases, I'd personally feel more comfortable wiuth the present perfect which conveys that same meaning more precisely.

< Previous | Next >