-Is he still with it? -Oh he is very with it. [with it]

Zhi

Chinese
Hi everyone, I overheard these expressions, I'm sorry I can't provide much context because I didn't understand what they were saying at all, but it possibly was about a very old man and his family.

A: Is he still with it?
B: Oh he is very with it.

So what does "with it" mean? Thank you!

• tepatria

Canadian English
    Old people sometimes lose their ability to think clearly and to interact with other in a coherent fashion. If so, that person is not with it. If he is with it, in this context, he is intelligent and still able to function independently. Very with it means he does this very well.

sdgraham

USA English
    In American English, expressions come and go. I haven't heard this one in more than 50 years.

Back when I was in high school and shortly thereafter, "with it" was a popular phrase meaning "cool," "up to date," etc. in attitude, jargon, dress and all kinds of things.

tepatria

Canadian English
    In American English, expressions come and go. I haven't heard this one in more than 50 years.

Back when I was in high school and shortly thereafter, "with it" was a popular phrase meaning "cool," "up to date," etc. in attitude, jargon, dress and all kinds of things.
    Ah, but context counts here. Being of the approaching senior persuasion myself, I am very aware that younger generations regard me as totally not with it in your context, but - hopefully - with it when it comes to all my faculties.:cool:

mojolicious

English English
    It's frequently used in the context you've given, ie in relation to the elderly who are suffering from memory loss, senility, etc. It means 'is he aware of his surroundings; is he responsive, is he coherent'.

But you often hear 'I'm just not with it today!' from someone who is making mistakes. I said exactly that phrase a few hours ago when I made myself a cup of instant coffee with cold water, having forgotten to boil the kettle.

:)

sdgraham

USA English
    It's frequently used in the context you've given, ie in relation to the elderly who are suffering from memory loss, senility, etc. It means 'is he aware of his surroundings; is he responsive, is he coherent'.:thumbsup:

But you often hear 'I'm just not with it today!' from someone who is making mistakes. I said exactly that phrase a few hours ago when I made myself a cup of instant coffee with cold water, having forgotten to boil the kettle.:thumbsup:

:)
    Of course. Since I'm not with it today (if indeed I ever had "it,") I fixated on the nostalgic version.

< Previous | Next >