Is it Converter or Calculator?

goldencypress

India - Malayalam
There is an App which gives you the International Bank Account Number (IBAN) when you input the country name, bank name and the account number.

What would be the right name for the App – IBAN Converter or IBAN Calculator?

Or, would you have a better suggestion?

Thank you

• cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    Thank you, cp. But doesn't the App CONVERT your bank account into International bank account?
    I can't tell from the sparse information you've given, but it's unlikely. "Converting" would mean (to me) transferring the money from one bank or banking system to another. If the app deals with converting currency (pounds to dollars, for example), "convert" would be appropriate. Can you give us a link to this app?

goldencypress

India - Malayalam
    I can't tell from the sparse information you've given, but it's unlikely. "Converting" would mean (to me) transferring the money from one bank or banking system to another. If the app deals with converting currency (pounds to dollars, for example), "convert" would be appropriate. Can you give us a link to this app?
    A converter can convert inch into centimetre and litre and into gallons.

Here is the link to the IBAN CALCULATOR https://www.iban.com/calculate-iban.html

Linkway

British English
    The page you referenced calls it a "calculator" and refers to the process explicitly as "converting".

The app definitely does do some incidental calculation - for example, it validates the check digit on the client's account number, and selects the appropriate algorithm for each country's banking system.

I would call it an "app" and describe it as converting the separate items bank account data into the required IBAN.

goldencypress

India - Malayalam
    The page you referenced calls it a "calculator" and refers to the process explicitly as "converting".

The app definitely does do some incidental calculation - for example, it validates the check digit on the client's account number, and selects the appropriate algorithm for each country's banking system.

I would call it an "app" and describe it as converting the separate items bank account data into the required IBAN.
    Thank you

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    WordReference also converts some things (forum posts into HTML code, for instance) and calculates some things (e.g., a user's total number of posts). That doesn't mean that we call it a converter or a calculator.

< Previous | Next >