Is it "Five-lake Strict" or "Five-lake District"?

isaacfeima

Chinese
Hi, there! Recently I am tutoring a student English. The textbook which I am using has this sentence:"Yes, we'll take our time. And we'll go to Five-lake Strict and the Wall street." I am confused. I think it should be "Five-lake District" instead of "Five-lake Strict". Am I right?

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello, isaacfeima. :)

It seems likely that Strict is an error, and should be District.
    However, the sentence is a bit confusing. Where are these places supposed to be?

isaacfeima

Chinese
    Hi,Cagey! Thanks for your expeditious response! :) The textbook is referring to the Great Lake Region (Lake Superior, Lake Huron, Lake Ontario, Lake Michigan, and Lake Erie) and the Wall Street. (In my opinion, the first letter of the word "street" should also be capitalized.)

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    We would usually refer to it as the Great Lakes Region, as you do. I don't think many Americans would recognize a reference to the 'Five-lake District' though they might figure it out when they realized that they were speaking to a non-native.

You are right about how we would write it, if we did. And, yes, we do call it 'Wall Street', 'Street' being part of the name. :)

Edit: I copied your mistake.
    :eek:
    (See the post below.)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >