USA and English
It is strongly suggested a review IS performed

It is strongly suggested a review BE performed

which is the correct word to use?

thx
nevian

• Kelly B

USA English
    Here, and in English class, you'll hear that "be" is appropriate: it is the subjunctive tense, which expresses uncertainty about whether the review will in fact be performed. It usually appears after a "that", which is implied in your phrase "strongly suggested [that] a review be performed"

In other contexts you'll often find that native English speakers think it sounds odd.

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Colloquial but the most frequent.

Correct but old-fashioned.

remosfan

Canada, English
    I was always under the impression that the subjunctive is actually alive and well in sentences like these, at least here in North America. For me, the second one is almost the only choice. E.g. in

I suggest she take the deal.

using "takes" instead would change the meaning for me. And even in this case, the way I read it is that the first suggests that a certain fact is true, while the second suggests a certain action should be taken. That's my take on it though.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    nevian said:

which is the correct word to use?
    thx
    nevian
    A tangential answer. Avoid the passive. I mean, what does the "It" refer to here?
    I (we, the review group, the committee if you must) suggest(s) that xxx conduct (organise, commission) a review....

Sorry, but this triggers my personal distaste for inappropriate passivism. The subjunctive-lovers are right. I'll go away now:)

Nick

USA, English
    remosfan said:
    I was always under the impression that the subjunctive is actually alive and well in sentences like these, at least here in North America. For me, the second one is almost the only choice. E.g. in

I suggest she take the deal.

using "takes" instead would change the meaning for me. And even in this case, the way I read it is that the first suggests that a certain fact is true, while the second suggests a certain action should be taken. That's my take on it though.
    I completely agree. Using "is" in this case is not even a choice to me.

Edwin

USA / Native Language: English
    Outsider said:
    Colloquial but the most frequent.

Correct but old-fashioned.
    I cannot agree that ''be'' is this case is old-fashioned.
    But I do agree with Panjandrum that the sentence needs to be recast.

A few examples I googled up:

I would also suggest that a review be performed to identify those companies that embrace the method you have described
    I want you to commit to yourself that you're going to do something about it. Demand that an investigation be made
    Even when politics demand that an arrest be made, class still influences how prisoners are treated. For example, Pablo Escobar, the cocaine baron from ...
    He recommended that the movie be shown to all students, at graduations, and to all public officials.

< Previous | Next >