Is it OK to say "hi people" when refering to only 2 persons?

riglos

Argentina - Spanish
Hi everyone!

I'd like to know it it's Ok to say "hi people" when refering to only 2 persons. If not, could you tell how to say it?

Thanks a lot!

Mara.

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    If anyone is wondering where the conversation about "guys" has gone to, it has been relocated to the guys thread HERE.

Those who may wish to comment further on "Hi people" should feel free to continue in this thread:)

GenJen54

USA - English
    I agree that it is technically (and grammatically) okay, but it doesn't sound quite natural to me. Perhaps it is a generational thing.

If I were to say, "Hi people," it would almost be in the context of entering a large party where I wished to announce my arrival. I would walk through the door, scan the scene and with a hearty bellow yell out, "Hi, People!"
    In such a case, I would almost expect a "Hi, Gen" chorus in return. (Not that I would do that. I'm actually much more reserved than to draw attention to myself that way.) :)

"Hi, folks" sounds more natural to me. Of course, I am from the Southern US, so "folks" is perhaps a regional tendancy.

Simply "hi" usually does the trick, with no additional designate needed.

VenusEnvy

English, United States
    Gen: Interesting! Maybe it is a generational issue. It's really popular among the people I work with (in their twenties, late teens). "Hi, peeps" is also popular.

fenixpollo

American English
    But Venus, do you and your peeps address just 2 people as "people"? I hear, use and accept calling a group of people "people", but it would sound strange if it were just 2 or even 3 people.

Cultural wrinkle: Many times, "people" is used ironically/comically, to imitate humorous caricatures... for example:

The Drill Instructor: Move it, people! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut!
    The Drama Teacher: Settle, people! Settle!
    The Effeminate Aerobics Instructor (aka Richard Simmons): Come on, people! Get those thighs up!

VenusEnvy

English, United States
    fenixpollo said:
    But Venus, do you and your peeps address just 2 people as "people"? I hear, use and accept calling a group of people "people", but it would sound strange if it were just 2 or even 3 people.
    Mmmm.... Yes. I've used it (and heard used) adressing 2 or 3 people. It sounds perfectly fine to me. ::shoulder shrug::

James Stephens

English, USA
    There's nothing wrong with saying "hi people", except that it is slang. Be sure you are addressing your peers or others who will appreciate the extreme informality; otherwise, you can sound flippant or disresectful. If I were addressed by a peer in that manner, I would think it a pitiful and inappropriate attempt at humor; if he was not a peer, I would consider it disrespectful and slovenly. Please note my age.