Is it possible to nominalize an adjective?

Bilbo Baggins

American English
Hello,

I know that in Arabic there are only nominals, verbs, and particles, and we don't make much of a distinction between adjectives and nouns as both fall under the heading of nominal. However, is it possible to "nominalize" "adjectives" in Arabic the way we do in English and Spanish with the definite article? For example, can I tag "al" to the beginning of the word for "new" to connote the meaning "the new one" ?

Thanks.

• إسكندراني

عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Hello,

I know that in Arabic there are only nominals, verbs, and particles, and we don't make much of a distinction between adjectives and nouns as both fall under the heading of nominal. However, is it possible to "nominalize" "adjectives" in Arabic the way we do in English and Spanish with the definite article? For example, can I tag "al" to the beginning of the word for "new" to connote the meaning "the new one" ?

Thanks.
    The 'adjective' new could be definite anyway.
    البيت الجديد
    It's best to consider adjectives as not existing in Arabic, not in the western sense anyway...

Bilbo Baggins

American English
    The 'adjective' new could be definite anyway.
    البيت الجديد
    It's best to consider adjectives as not existing in Arabic, not in the western sense anyway...
    Thanks for your input. However, I think that you are missing the point of my question. At this point in my education, I am well aware that "adjectives" take the article when modifying a definite "noun". My question was whether it is possible to affix the definite article to a nominal that would be construed as an adjective in English thereby giving it the meaning of a noun in English.

For example, if I wanted to say: "The new one is big.", would it be: الجديد كبير

إسكندراني

عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Thanks for your input. However, I think that you are missing the point of my question. At this point in my education, I am well aware that "adjectives" take the article when modifying a definite "noun". My question was whether it is possible to affix the definite article to a nominal that would be construed as an adjective in English thereby giving it the meaning of a noun in English.

For example, if I wanted to say: "The new one is big.", would it be: الجديد كبير
    Yes because in Arabic, all adjectives are nouns. So they don't need 'nominising'.

Abu Talha

Urdu
    How would you say "the new [things]"?

I don't think you can use ـون / ـين except for intelligent beings, but can you say both الجدد and الجديدات , irrespective of whether the singular is masculine or feminine?

إسكندراني

عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    How would you say "the new [things]"?

I don't think you can use ـون / ـين except for intelligent beings, but can you say both الجدد and الجديدات , irrespective of whether the singular is masculine or feminine?
    Inanimate plurals are always feminine. If we know the thing then we must use the correct gender.
    [I think it's الجداد rather than الجديدون but we can deal with that elsewhere]

< Previous | Next >