Is it worth to be at the top/height(?) of fashion?

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
Hello, :)

Is it worth to be at the height of fashion?
or
Is it worth to be at the top of fashion?
I know you can say to be the height of fashion, but on the other and we have to be at the top of something. I'm not sure about to be at the height of something, is it fine? Which one would you choose here and why?

Thank you in advance,
Tom

• GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    I would say "at the height of fashion" if one dresses fashionably, or "at the top of the fashion world" if one is in the fashion business.

Please note that "Is it worth to be...?" is not correct; you must say "Is it worth it to be..."

bibliolept

AE, Español
    "Height of fashion" is idiomatic. You might hear things like: "Despite their bright colors and inexpensive materials, bracelets espousing charitable causes are the height of fashion."

se16teddy

English - England
    Is it worth being at the height of fashion? means something like do the benefits of being at the top of the fashion word (or being dressed in the most fashionable gear) outweigh the disadvantages? Is this what you meant?

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    Thank you all for help. :)

Is it worth being at the height of fashion? means something like do the benefits of being at the top of the fashion word (or being dressed in the most fashionable gear) outweigh the disadvantages? Is this what you meant?
    I think more or less yes. The sentence comes from a text that says about the disadvantages of being dressed fashionably. I had to fill in the balnk using one of a few words given. I found summit and peak completely wrong here and didn't know wheather I should chose top or height. So I guess top desn't really work here, does it?

Tom

Arrius

English, UK
    Is it worth being at the height of fashion has already been suggested by others, but I don't think that it has been made clear that Is is worth to be:cross: at the height of fashion is actually wrong. Is it worth it to be at the height of fashion is, however, possible, where the it might refer to the sacrifice of starvation or surgical breast reduction. Perhaps the latter meaning is what was originally intended.

< Previous | Next >