Is more byzantine than for any other

Oswinw011

Chinese
Oscars Try to Navigate Through Babel
Some Oscar-nominated foreign titles from the past decade will leave even committed art-house audiences drawing a blank: “Zelary” from the Czech Republic, “As It Is in Heaven” from Sweden, “Zus & Zo” from the Netherlands. Meanwhile critical favorites and festival hits have often gone unacknowledged; a list of conspicuous omissions might start — but certainly would not end — with “4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days,” “Caché,” “Silent Light,” “Gomorrah,” “The Edge of Heaven,” “Secret Sunshine” and “Volver.”

This incongruity has much to do with the category’s submission and nominating process, which is more byzantine than for any other, involving nominating bodies in various countries and several Academy committees.

Hello,
How do I understand the bold phrase? My guess: more byzantine(difficult to change) for Oscars(?or for submission and nomination process?) than for any other process.

• Darlingpurslane

English - US
    It means that the submission and nomination process for the foreign category of the Oscars is more complicated than the submission and nomination process for all the other Oscar categories. So, one specific category at the Academy Awards (foreign film) is more difficult to enter than any other category in the same awards program (best picture, best actress, best screenplay, etc.). It is not comparing the submission process of the Oscars to the submission process of other awards programs (such as BAFTA, Golden Globes, etc.).

Oswinw011

Chinese
    It means that the submission and nomination process for the foreign category of the Oscars is more complicated than the submission and nomination process for all the other Oscar categories. So, one specific category at the Academy Awards (foreign film) is more difficult to enter than any other category in the same awards program (best picture, best actress, best screenplay, etc.). It is not comparing the submission process of the Oscars to the submission process of other awards programs (such as BAFTA, Golden Globes, etc.).
    That makes sense. Thanks for your helpful reply. :thumbsup: How do you know it's foreign language film category? I found this appeared in the first paragraph, two paragraphs away from the line I quoted. I didn't hit on it when I tried to figure out the bold phrase.

Darlingpurslane

English - US
    That makes sense. Thanks for your helpful reply. :thumbsup: How do you know it's foreign language film category? I found this appeared in the first paragraph, two paragraphs away from the line I quoted. I didn't hit on it when I tried to figure out the bold phrase.
    The first paragraph you quoted listed foreign films, so even though it doesn't specifically mention that the category is foreign language film in the sentence you asked about, the context you provided made it easy to figure out. :)

EdisonBhola

Korean
    Is "byzantine" a word that most native English speakers would understand?

I find it discouraging sometimes that, despite having studied English for over 30 years, there are still so many words that I don't know.

Darlingpurslane

English - US
    I don't think "byzantine" is a common word. I can't find any statistics except that the Merriam-Webster online dictionary lists it as in the top 20% of word lookups. So it is a word that many people need to look up, but I don't know how many people looking up that word are native English speakers or not.

I am truly sorry you get discouraged, but I want you to know that I am a native English speaker, and I look up words in the dictionary constantly. I do not consult the dictionary because my vocabulary is poor, but because there are so many interesting words or meanings to learn. The English language has over 170,000 words, and the average native speaker learns 20,000 to 35,000 of them. No one will ever know all of them. Learning English (as a native language or a second language) is a life-long vocation. You should be proud of your 30 years of study.

< Previous | Next >