"...is much greater than the ordinary citizen"

Via32

Hungarian
Hi Everyone,

"I would think that the Pope would be very concerned to think that one of his cardinals, and someone who holds a high position within the Vatican government structure, is being wanted on criminal charges in Australia," Mr Rothwell said in a recent interview.
"So if the Pope was to say, 'Well look, Cardinal Pell, I'd like you to return to Australia and mount a defence', I'm sure Cardinal Pell would probably follow that instruction.
"In the case of someone like Cardinal Pell, the sway that the Pope and the church has over him is much greater than the ordinary citizen."
'I have been completely clear in my total rejection of these allegations' - top Cardinal to be charged with multiple counts of sexual assault - Independent.ie

I don't understand what the bold part means in the article above. By the structure of the sentence I would understand that the sway (of the Pope and the church) is greater than the ordinary citizen, which doesn't make any sense. Or does it intend to mean that the sway that the Pope and the church has over him is much greater than it would be over an ordinary citizen?

• Barque

Tamil
    Or does it intend to mean that the sway that the Pope and the church has over him is much greater than it would be over an ordinary citizen?
    I think it means that the sway that the Pope and Church have over him is greater than the sway an ordinary citizen would have over him. It implies that the Cardinal might not travel to Australia merely because the police and Australian authorities (the so-called ordinary citizens) would like him to, but he would if the Pope asked him to.

Via32

Hungarian
    Thank you Barque, that makes sense and with SwissPete's apostrophe I even understand it grammatically.

< Previous | Next >