is no longer...

< Previous | Next >

uas60

English; Urdu; Student of Arabic/French
Hi all!

I've been pondering over this, and not got very far as I'm quite beginner-intermediate I suppose.

I know ما زال is used for something that has "not ceased to be", but how would I say something that "has ceased to be", i.e. is no longer. A translator site tells me to use "لم تعد" but I'm not sure how to use this.

E.g.

The homework will no longer be found on the website, but in the book.

الواجب لم تعد موجودا في الويبسايت، ولكن في الكتاب.

Is that a correct usage? Do we not use zaala?

Thanks for your help guys! :)

• shafaq

Turkish
    Yes ! It is correct usage save than ت عد due to masculinity of word الواجب . It will become الواجب لم يـعد موجودا .
    There are another ways to say this like حاليا غير موجود /متواجد.

xebonyx

TR/AR/EN
    لن (will not) is another option.

...من الآن فصاعداً، الموقع لن يحتوي على الواجب

the-moon-light

Arabic (Saudia) but I'm Yemeni :)
    no longer: لم يعد/ لم تعد depends on the word you are refering the speach too.

In your example as (Shafaq said) homework الواجب is masculine so you should say: الواجب لم يعد

If the word is feminine, you can say لم تعد, ex. الفتاة لم تعد تعمل هنا
    the girl is no longer working here.

Ansari84

English - U.S.
    Hi uas60,

I'd like to point out one small thing with regards to your sample sentence, even though it's not the main point of your question:

I'm not sure if "ولكن" is actually incorrect here, but I would prefer to use the word "بل". It's the difference between saying 'but' and 'but rather.'

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Hello all,

I think we need to make the difference between "is no longer" and "will no longer".
    Is not longer = لم يعد موجودًا
    Will no longer be = لن يكون موجودًا or لن يكون موجودًا بعد الآن

And homework is الواجب or الواجبات and in some Arab countries it's translated as الفروض (I think).

P.S. I also like Andrea's من الآن فصاعدًا , you can also say منذ الآن/منذ اليوم .
    I agree with Ansari about بل being the correct word to use instead of لكن (although لكن is not incorrect, but بل is more accurate). And you need to remember the gender agreement:
    الواجب being masculine, the verb should be لم يعد موجودًا .

Last edited:

uas60

Thank you all so much, I think I've learnt some useful tools!

Just one thing... I've been reading it as "lam ya'id", is that right or is it "lam ya'ud"?

Ansari84

English - U.S.
    lam ya'ud
    :thumbsup:

I would go with this one, since يعد represents the jussive form of the verb عاد-يعود . I would think that the "و" in the third-person singular form would be shortened to a damma in the jussive. Maybe someone else can confirm?

clevermizo

English (USA), Spanish
    :thumbsup:

I would go with this one, since يعد represents the jussive form of the verb عاد-يعود . I would think that the "و" in the third-person singular form would be shortened to a damma in the jussive. Maybe someone else can confirm?
    That's correct. The verb in other grammatical forms is يعود, but when it is مجزوم it is shortened to يعُد. This is same with يقول and لم يقُل and other verbs like this.

uas60

Thank you all, I understand.

So... ahem...

الواجب المنزلي لم يعد موجودا في الموقع، بل في الكتاب

Xence

Algeria (Arabic - French)
    Well, no...

As explained by Cherine, لم يعد means is no longer, but in the initial sentence the wording is "will no longer". In this case the verb عاد is no more useful (لن يعود موجودا doesn't sound really good). However, you could rephrase your sentence this way, for example:

من الآن فصاعداً، لن يمكن العثور على الواجب المنزلي في الموقع، بل في الكتاب فقط

tashmillions

English
    I assume you only use لم يعد with a noun after, if I want a verb after such as "I no longer read books" can you use زال ?

أزيل قرأة الكتب

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    I assume you only use لم يعد with a noun after
    No, you can use verbs as well.
    if I want a verb after such as "I no longer read books" can you use زال ?

أزيل قرأة الكتب
    I'm afraid this is not correct. I think you wanted to say لم أَزَل أقرأ الكتب , but this means "I still read books". And the maSdar of qara2 is قراءة .

I no longer read books means لم أعد أقرأ الكتب.

< Previous | Next >