is not or do not?

< Previous | Next >

Leon Liang

chinese
Hi,all

The following sentence is taken from a technical documentation,I'm confused about a construction outlined below;
The word respect here is a verb, could you please tell me why here used "is not" rather than "do not"? ,I'm always
confused when to use "is not" and "do not" , so I'm not sure whether the sentence itself is right or not...

In order to have a right flow of the different managements, the pages must be arranged in logical order. If this is
not respect
the application are slow to process the data and the devices are not correctly manage and protect.

Thanks in advice.
Leon

• modulus

ইংরেজি - আমেরিক
    It should be "respected". But there are many other errors in the text. It is a poorly written/edited text.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    This is very confusing, and likely to have been written by a non-native speaker. Perhaps it was translated from another language. Possibly, this is what they meant to say:

If this is not respected
    the <applications are/ application is> slow to process the data and the devices are not correctly managed and protected.

Added: Cross-posted with modulus. :)

dmz11

English - US
    Hello Leon Liang,
    The word respect here is a verb, could you please tell me why here used "is not" rather than "do not"? ,I'm always
    confused when to use "is not" and "do not" , so I'm not sure whether the sentence itself is right or not...

In order to have a right flow of the different managements, the pages must be arranged in logical order. If this is
    not respect
    the application are slow to process the data and the devices are not correctly manage and protect.
    Your confusion probably stems from the fact that the translation is flawed in a number of ways. The word "respect," which should really read "respected" here, is being used as a participle (is respected), which is why you should use "is" in this case rather than "do." A more correct rendition of the sentence (since I'm not entirely sure what the writer meant by certain phrases, i.e., "different managements") should read:

not respect
    ed, the applications are slow to process, and the data and devices are not correctly managed and protected.[/QUOTE]

Crossed with Cagey

Leon Liang

chinese
    You are right Cagey, it is truly written by a non-native speaker,the documentation is from our HQ company, so I'm very confused about most constructions and grammar, it is really a very big misunderstanding for another non-native speaker,but can I use :If you do not respect ...

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    You can use it, and it may be easier to understand. The construction is different, though:

If you do not respect the logical arrangement of the pages, .....

It still seems odd to me. Pages are usually numbered, and we ask that they be kept in numerical order, not logical order. Or does 'pages' refer to something different from pieces of paper here?

Leon Liang

chinese
    Cagey:
    'pages' here refer to something like paper and pieces in a software platform installed in our computer like Microsoft(word),but not a real paper in our office can write or print something on it, in this page, you can always write some logical and other things, many pages can be used for your program.
    Whether this construction still seems odd to you Cagey? If you do not respect the logical arrangement of the pages, .....

Thanks modulus,dmz11 and Cagey, this is really helpful...

modulus

ইংরেজি - আমেরিক
    I agree that it makes sense if "pages" could be understood as such, but the explanation of that understanding is not clear. How can "papers" be installed in a computer? To refer to software installed in a computer as "pages" is equally vague.

Leon Liang

chinese
    modulus:

Something not so clear in my discription,
    There are manypages in the software platform such as many pages in Microsoft(word), Microsoft(word) can be installed in our computer,so Microsoft(word) involve many pages ,we can write,print,drawing from one page to another, our software platform also like that... :)

I'm a non-native speaker, so excuse my inevitable mistakes, thanks.

modulus

ইংরেজি - আমেরিক
    Hi Leon,

The word "page" is simply not used in that sense in common or technical sense in English. I realize that a document, once printed, can be referred to as "pages". A "text" can also be referred to as "pages" whether virtual or in printed form. Memory of a computer can also be referred to as "pages" in a technical sense. But a piece of software (e.g. MS word) is not described as a page. But I'm afraid we are going off-topic. Perhaps you should start a new thread on this.

modulus

ইংরেজি - আমেরিক
    Thank you. Please post a link to that thread so that I and others can follow. I do not read every post in this forum. :)

< Previous | Next >