is or are?

< Previous | Next >

minaret

Persian
Hi

In this sentence should I use is or are?

"The daily gas consumption of residential and commercial buildings of the city is collected from the Provincial Gas Company "

The term consumption is singular but it represents for both residential and commercial buildings. Maybe I should write consumptions?

thanks

• Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    I'd use "is" but there are various other problems with your sentence.

I wouldn't use "daily gas consumption". It's the gas that's supplied, not the gas consumption.

You don't need "daily" either. Whether a person uses gas on a daily or weekly or other basis, the entity supplying gas remains the same.

And it should be "supplied by", not "collected from". Use of "collected from" suggests that the residents go every day to the Provincial Gas Company and pick up their gas.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    What is collected? The gas consumption is collected.

(Actually, neither consumption nor collected seem to me to be the right words to use. I'd far prefer: "The daily gas supply of residential and commercial buildings of the city is provided by the Provincial Gas Company.")

[Cross-posted.]

Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    The singular form is correct - as you say it agrees with consumption. Compare "The number of meals served daily is 125."
    I would suggest that it's "Data concerning the daily consumption..." that is collected/collated.??

minaret

Persian
    Thank you

It seems my sentence is confusing. I mean, as Franco-filly said, the data are collected from the company, not the gas itself. And, daily is important because I collected data that shows how much gas is consumed by people in each day.

Is it corrected in this way:
    The data of daily gas consumption of residential and commercial buildings of the city is collected from the Provincial Gas Company.

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    The data of daily gas consumption of residential and commercial buildings of the city is collected from the Provincial Gas Company.
    Yes, thanks for the clarification - I didn't realise you were referring to data.

I suggest: The Data on of daily gas consumption...

You could include "the" if you are referring to data that's already been referred to. It'd depend on the wording of the earlier sentences.

minaret

Persian
    Yes, thanks for the clarification - I didn't realise you were referring to data.

I suggest: The Data on of daily gas consumption...

You could include "the" if you are referring to data that's already been referred to. It'd depend on the wording of the earlier sentences.
    As I said in the middle of the sentence the word the city, doesn't mean that I should use the data? I mean the city doesn't make data known?

thanks

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    As I said in the middle of the sentence the word the city, doesn't mean that I should use the data?
    That's not the basis for deciding whether to use "the data" or "data". If it's the first time you're referring to that data, I suggest using just "data". The words "on daily gas consumption" reveal what data it is.

tomtombp

Hungarian
    Adding "data" to the sentence takes us to another topic, the question whether data is plural or singular.

< Previous | Next >