Is Present Continuous with 'always' a must?

akuptsov.hse

Russian
Hello everyone,

I'm looking through this grammar exercise that asks to de-bracket the verbs. One of the sentences looks like this:

He always (complain) that nobody listens to him.

The answer key says that it should be is complaining. I understand why so there's no problem. However, I'm a bit surprised that the answer key doesn't suggest two options - is complaining and complain.

So I have a question: Does always in such sentences always (no pun intended) impose usage of continuous forms, like the one that is in my answer key?

• london calling

UK English
    No, I always use whichever form (simple or continuous) is the most suitable in a given context.:) Unfortunately there is no context here and therefore both options are possible.

Same source as the other one? I'd get rid of this book.

akuptsov.hse

Russian
    No, I always use whichever form (simple or continuous) is the most suitable in a given context.:) Unfortunately there is no context here and therefore both options are possible.

Same source as the other one? I'd get rid of this book.
    No, it's a different one, I usually have to look through a lot of various books to cook a lesson :)

Grammar books often contain one-sentence items. Sometimes the context is clear, sometimes it's clear from the section the exercise is in, for example, this sentence comes right after the rules of using Present Continuous so no wonder they expect it there.

My curiosity is only about how binding it is to use Continuous with always if no context is given. But you solved that problem of mine again :) Thank you very much!

< Previous | Next >