is so deeply a part of being human

Soo K.

Korean
Language is so fundamental to our experience, so deeply a part of being human, that it's hard to imagine life without it.
(source:http://edge.org/conversation/how-does-our-language-shape-the-way-we-think)

1. In the above sentence, is "so deeply" correct in grammar?
2. If we change it into "Language is so deep a part of being human that it's hard to imagine life without it", is it correct? If so, does it have any difference in meaning , compared to using "deeply"?

• Schimmelreiter

Deutsch
    is so deeply a part - deeply is an adverb qualifying being a part
    is so deep a part - deep is an adjective qualifying ​part (Wouldn't it be odd to call language a deep partof being human?)

Last edited:

Soo K.

Korean
    Thank you for answering me. I agree that "Language is so deep a part of being human" sounds odd.

1.Then if we move the position of adverbs "so deeply" into the end, is it OK?: "Language is a part of being human so deeply that it is hard to imagine life without it."

2. I think that "Language is so important a part of being human that it is hard to imagine life without it." has the same meaning with "Language is so deeply a part of being human that it is hard to imagine life without it." Am I right?

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Then if we move the position of adverbs "so deeply" into the end, is it OK?: "Language is a part of being human so deeply that it is hard to imagine life without it."
    No, I'm afraid this doesn't really work, Soo. Placing it next to "human" makes the sentence confusing to read, since—as you already know—it is intended to describe the role of language. Moving it makes it seem to refer to a way of being human ("being human so deeply"), which doesn't make sense. Sometimes adverbs are moveable, but sometimes they're not; we need to look carefully at the sentence from the point of view of the reader, to see if the meaning is still clear.
    I think that "Language is so important a part of being human that it is hard to imagine life without it." has the same meaning with as "Language is so deeply a part of being human that it is hard to imagine life without it." Am I right?
    Yes, you are. :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >