" Is that Terebyeva the one you said had made a third free marriage? "

shiness

Korean, South Korea.
"Is that Terebyeva the one you said had made a third free marriage?"

Of the spoken english context from "Crime and Punishment", I'd like to know what exactly was ommited in there on account of Spoken-English convention (simplicity), so to speak, how would it be restated if it were written english?

In my opinion, . . . . .the one (who) you said had made . . . . something like this? I had to read it about 4 times in order to fully understand.

Hope you understood my question.

Thanks.

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    A little more context would be helpful, Shiness, because from the structure of this sentence, I have to assume that the speaker has had Terebyeva pointed out to him (by the use of the word "that"). If my assumption is correct, punctuation would help a lot ie:

"Is that Terebyeva, the one you said had made a third free marriage?"

Again, if my assumption is correct, I don't really think that it needs any clarification after insertion of the comma nor has anything been omitted.

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    An alternative understanding of the sentence might be that there is more than one Terebyeva, so the speaker wants to be sure that this refers to the Terebyeva who made three free marriages, and not some other Terebyeva.

As Dimcl says, context is needed to give you a definitive answer.

< Previous | Next >