Is that your sketch? vs You drew that?

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

I saw someone uploaded her drawing online (It's a picture). She drew a cartoon figure first with pencil, just pencil or perhaps a rubber, besides, nothing is in her drawing. Like this one. Since the picture could be seen by her friends, one of her friends said:

You drew that?

And I think it would be better to say:

Is that your sketch?

Am I right?

I think "sketch" is the word I'm looking for, someone simply uses pencil and a rubber to finish a drawing. I need your confirmation.

• Loob

English UK
    Why do you want to change "You drew that?" Silver? What do you see as wrong with it?

Silver

Hello, Loob. I'm not saying that "you draw that" is wrong. I am just wondering if mine is more natural. :)

Myridon

English - US
    Remember that "your sketch" could be drawn by you, owned by you, or depict you. Perhaps in some online contexts (a group application where anyone can draw something), it could merely be posted by you.

You drew that?
    Yes.

Is that your sketch?
    Yes, I drew that.
    Yes, that's mine.
    Yes, that's me.

Silver

Thanks a lot, Loob and Myridon.

I guess I can say this:

Did you draw the sketch yourself?

I think this question is natural in my context now, right? :)

Loob

English UK
    Well, it's natural, Silver. But it's no more natural than "You drew that?" Indeed, it's probably slightly less natural.

Silver

Well, I need to go further here. And sorry for troubling you, Loob.

I am quite obsessed with using "sketch" and avoiding "draw" because when I was young, my teacher told me "draw" is for children. And the word "draw" is very common in "draw a picture", but I've never heard of it among adults. Maybe it's because my friends don't talk about this much. While "sketch" is more formal to me and just means something specifically, like in this context, a picture finished by pencil and rubber.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    And that's certainly not a "cartoon figure" in the example to which you linked. It's a detailed portrait, drawn in pencil or charcoal (one can't tell).

Silver

And that's certainly not a "cartoon figure" in the example to which you linked. It's a detailed portrait, drawn in pencil or charcoal (one can't tell).
    Yes, but the one who I mentioned did draw a cartoon figure. I used a link as an example. Thanks a lot for your help, Parla. :)

< Previous | Next >