"Is the meal ready?" "Check."

< Previous | Next >

Ume

Banned
Japanese
Hello.

"Is the meal ready?" "Check."

When you agree with someone, do you answer, "Check"?
Is that common in AE only?

• Eigenfunction

England - English
    I must admit I've never heard this expression. Is the person saying check asking the other speaker to go and look in the oven to see if the meal is cooked yet, or is it just a way of saying "Yes it is ready"?

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    In this context, "Check" is an affirmative reply.
    It comes, I believe, from the pre-flight check list used by pilots with co-pilots. One reads the items, the other confirms that the items are OK, the first ticks them off, "checks" them, on the check list.

KHS

I have usually heard it in AmE. Very occasionally, a BE speaker might imitate it, but it isn't a common BE expression.
    In my experience, it isn't all that common in AmE either, although I have heard it...but when I have, it has not been in the context of a meal order, but more often in the sense that Panjandrum gave, of a list of things being "checked off."

However, just as Panj noted, I would immediately understand it as an affirmative response.

sound shift

English - England
    I must admit I've never heard this expression. Is the person saying check asking the other speaker to go and look in the oven to see if the meal is cooked yet, or is it just a way of saying "Yes it is ready"?
    It's creeping in to British television advertising. I've seen adverts along the lines of
    - Ultra-fast broadband?
    - Check.

- Unlimited surfing?
    - Check.

- 24/7 technical support?
    - Check.

Sound Shift On-Line has all this and more.

Eigenfunction

England - English
    "Check" as a way of ticking off items on a list has been in use for a long time. However, one readiness of meal is a fairly short list, hence my question.

< Previous | Next >