Is the punctuation correct?

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
Hi teachers,
Is the punctuation correct?
Listen to part A, page 1: questions 1-5, and complete the answers.
Listen to part A page 2, and fill in the blanks with the missing verbs.

Thanks in advance.

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    The second sentence looks fine to me, but I'd alter the first one to a similar pattern:
    "Listen to part A page 1, questions 1-5, and complete the answers."

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I agree about changing the colon to a comma, but I'd prefer (in both examples) to keep the comma before "page".

I'm worried that might still be wrong, because the context here is incomplete. The whole thing is a bit odd. Is the candidate really meant to listen to a recording and then answer printed questions about it? Or is he supposed to read an excerpt and then answer questions?
    Are pages 1 and 2 part of part A, or is each of pages 1 and 2 divided into part A (background text) and part B (questions about part A)?

Should it be something like: "Listen to part A of the tape, then answer questions 1-5 on page 1."?

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Hi Edinburgher,
    Thanks for your reply.
    Is the candidate really meant to listen to a recording and then answer printed questions about it? Or is he supposed to read an excerpt and then answer questions?

It comes during the exercise (they fill in as they go along).

TL

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    It comes during the exercise (they fill in as they go along).
    I don't understand. Are you saying that a recording is being played to the class while they are completing a written test on paper?
    * If not, then it doesn't make sense to write "listen", because listening is to do with hearing, not reading.
    * If yes, then it is OK to write "listen", but then the references to "page 1" and "page 2" don't make sense unless what is said in the recording is also printed on the page.

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    I don't understand. Are you saying that a recording is being played to the class while they are completing a written test on paper? Yes, I am.
    * If not, then it doesn't make sense to write "listen", because listening is to do with hearing, not reading.
    * If yes, then it is OK to write "listen", but then the references to "page 1" and "page 2" don't make sense unless what is said in the recording is also printed on the page. It is both, recorded and printed on the page.
    Hi Edinburgher,
    Thanks for your interest.

TL

< Previous | Next >