Is the word "regularize" common?

< Previous | Next >

Thebigspire

Portuguese - Brazil
Hi there,

Cambridge dictionary for the verb "regularize":
"to change a situation or system so that it obeys laws or is based on reason"

My question: would you use this word in the everyday speech with your family or friends?

Many thanks

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Yes, but:
    • Spelt regularise
    • Only when talking about official procedures, such as "After Brexit we may have to regularise our position with the French immigration authorities".

Andygc

British English
    I use the standard spelling "regularize" rather than the BE-only minority spelling, but that's nothing to get excited about. It's not a word in everyday conversation, but the example Keith gives shows exactly the sort of context where I would use it.

Thebigspire

Portuguese - Brazil
    Many thanks for your answers, Keith Bradford and Andygc. Would the verb to regularize be correct in the context below?

- I went to the city council to regularize my situation and brought with me a couple of documents and two passport-sized pictures.

Andygc

British English
    I'm glad to hear it. You had me worried for a moment there that, while I was asleep, some unknown foreign power had imposed "standard" spelling on English!
    The OED lists words under what might be considered the standard spelling. If there are two 'standard' spellings they will be listed together. Variant spellings are listed within the entry, with the centuries in which they have been found. "Regularise" is a variant spelling.

Andygc

British English
    Many thanks for your answers, Keith Bradford and Andygc. Would the verb to regularize be correct in the context below?

- I went to the city council to regularize my situation and brought with me a couple of documents and two passport-sized pictures.
    Yes, that looks reasonable.

< Previous | Next >