Is there a German dialect that only uses "der" as article?

< Previous | Next >

André Buzzulini

Brazilian Portuguese
I have a teacher that told me, a long time ago, that there's a German region where the only article used in the speaking language is "der", even in the cases we would use "die" or "das". I'd like to know if that's true. Does anybody know about it?

Thank you all.

• I have a teacher that told me, a long time ago, that there's a German region where the only article used in the speaking language is "der", even in the cases we would use "die" or "das". I'd like to know if that's true. Does anybody know about it?

Thank you all.
    Hi André,
    I cannot imagine that there's a german dialect that uses ONLY the masculine article. But, since I am Swabian, I know that there are SOME words whose gender switched to masculine in Swabian dialect (Schwäbisch), i.e. die Butter --> d'r Budd'r, die Schokolade --> d'r Schoklaad.

berndf

German (Germany)
    Some dialects (e.g. Low German) merged masculine and feminine (well almost, in accusative adjectives there is still a difference; de groten Mann, de grote Fruu). But all three genders merged? No, I don't think that exists.

< Previous | Next >