Is there a name for the mail department in a company?

< Previous | Next >

fdk47

Tagalog
I want to say "They transferred Mike to Mail." (just like I would say "They transferred Mike to Marketing.") but does it sound strange?

I think there is a "mail department" in large companies, where they have people deliver mails inside the building, pushing carts.

Is there a name for the mail department in a company, to use in "They transferred Mike to----."

If not, could you tell me what kind of word/phrase you would use instead?

Thank you.

• fdk47

Tagalog
    Thank you!

I googled and "Mail Services Department" seems like it's used in educational institutions mainly.

Is there a word for
    "the mailroom" in comlanies in AE?

Andygc

British English
    Is there a word for "the mailroom" in comlanies in AE?
    That would be "mailroom"
    1976 Washington Post 19 Apr. a23/5 He was in the Library's Crystal City mailroom, where he had volunteered to help out.
    However, what it is called, for your sentence, depends entirely on what Mike's employer calls it.

sdgraham

USA English
    Even when some organization chooses to name that function something grandiose, inflated or even silly, we still call it the "mailroom" unless something requires us to use the formal version, should one exist.

fdk47

Tagalog
    Thank you, Parla and sdgraham.

I think people say "I work in the marketing department." so, if it's mailroom, "I work in the mailroom" ?

Ça y est!

English - U.S.
    I want to say "They transferred Mike to Mail."
    This sounds perfectly fine to me as a shorthand reference within a company -- between two people working at the same company. I could easily imagine them shortening "mailroom" to "mail." Maybe it's an American thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >