Is there a "recommendation" for ....

ireney

Modistra
Greek Greece Mod of Greek, CC and CD
Is there a recommendation for any voluntary exchange between persons? Plainly not. No recommendations at all attaches to your voluntarily giving me the gun you know will be used by me to shoot my wife. What recommendation attaches to a voluntary sale that will deprive a peasant village of the jobs that were its only means of support until now?
Someone has to translate this one (thankfully not me!) and he asked for help in translating "recommendation" which is a rather versatile word if you ask me.
Now my "instinct" is to go with the meaning of "to recommend something to someone" but I am not sure (it's a weird looking text if you ask me).

I can also provide two more one-line-long excerpts where "recommendation" is used (apparently the author just loves using this word) but I am not sure if that is in accordance with the rules.

Do you think the meaning is the same in all instances or is it a case of playing with the word "recommendation" ?

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    How very strange?
    It reads almost like a translation from another language.
    I'm sure that recommendation is the wrong word for the meaning this text is trying to convey. Should it be responsibility? That's not quite right either. There is a word, a concept at least, flying round in the back of my brain, but I can't get it out.

What is the wider context?
    Is this part of a philosophical essay on social and personal accountability, for example? And do you think the other extracts would help, in which case it's entirely possible that none of the mods would notice.

ireney

Modistra
    I really don't have any information about the wider context although I could ask (will do so in fact)

So is there exactly as much recommendation in this agreement or contract coming about as there is in something else...?
    The recommendation of this society is in what is called the evident liberty of it.
    are the two other instances I was referring to.

Thanks a lot by the way :)

GEmatt

English/BE, Français/CH, Deutsch/CH (rustier & rustier)
    (Is there a recommendation for) Does anything speak for any voluntary exchange between persons? Plainly not. Nothing speaks for your voluntarily giving me the gun you know will be used by me to shoot my wife. What speaks for a voluntary sale that will deprive a peasant village of the jobs that were its only means of support until now?
    Totally weird text, I agree with panj. "Speaks for" springs to mind, as a replacement, in the sense of "what is the good of", "where is the merit in"... possibly? But why the author is such a fan of recommendations...

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Gnyurrgghh.
    (That means - oh dear the extra information does not help a great deal but thanks.) This is a puzzle, and I bet there is a simple answer.

Is there any possibility that the text has defined recommendation in some very particular way - much earlier?

It looks increasingly like a translation from ???? goodness knows what. You know the kind of thing. In ???? there is a word that perfectly encapsulates this concept but also means recommendation in ????. The ????-English dictionary offers a number of alternative translations, and the translator has picked the wrong one.

It seems to mean something like moral or social responsibility, accountability, conscience, value, value judgement,

ireney

Modistra
    Ah! So shredding any diploma "proving" that I can understand the English language and comprehend what I am reading in general should wait for a more appropriate moment!

Thank you both! I am waiting for the luckless translator to provide some more information (now I am geniously curious).

GEmatt that's the direction toward which I am sauntering myself but I wonder if it is the right one since it does work but doesn't seem to be "the thing" if you know what I mean.

Panj it most certainly looks like ??? language was the original but I am waiting for confirmation. I sure hope that's the case!

difficult cuss

English England
    I agree that it reads like a misinformed translation. Unless or course it is part of a much larger text which might add some perspective.
    This line "...attaches to your voluntarily giving me the gun ..." why would "your" be used? Would it not be "you" or perhaps a different sentence such as "attaches to your voluntary hand over of the gun"?

Dieguet

Español Argentina
    I once read an essay on Social subjugation to technologies by Heidegger in which he used "recommendations" to mean "rules".

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    OK it's not a translation it's Honderich
    Turn a perfesser of philosophy loose on the English langwidge, and that's a sort of recommendation for disaster.
    Let's try a rough paraphrase towards English--

Is there a recommendation for any voluntary exchange between persons? Plainly not. No recommendations [ignoring his confusion about tenses, try substituting "suggested use"] at all attaches to your voluntarily giving me the gun you know will be used by me to shoot my wife. What recommendation attaches to a voluntary sale that will deprive a peasant village of the jobs that were its only means of support until now?

Though he doesn't say it, it appears that he is setting up theoretical situations in which an act is made with a likely consequence, but the actor is not recommending/suggesting/approving of the consequence.
    I think it's almost akin to endorsing.

ireney

Modistra
    Hmmm what with his view on Determinism and all I think with cuchuflete's post I am starting to see the light here! Thanks :)

Oh and don't start me on them and how they butcher use any language unfortunate enough to fall into their clutches.

< Previous | Next >