Is there a sugarplum fairy or not?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by sergiofreeman, Jan 7, 2013.

1. sergiofreeman

sergiofreeman Senior Member

Miami Florida
    Spanish
    Hi again, and Again from The bucket List. :( I can't figure out what Cold meaant using the expression : Is there a sugarplum fairy or not? Carter, we've all had hundreds of these discussions... ...and every one of them always hits the same wall. Is there a sugarplum fairy or not? And nobody has ever gotten over that wall. thanks a lot .

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    You need to give us context -- who are Cold and Carter? And please format your posts so they are easily understandable, like this (keeping in mind that I don't know who's talking, so you'll have to format it correctly). And put your subject line into your post or highlight it in some way:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Is there a sugarplum fairy or not?

Hi again, and again from the movie The Bucket List. I can't figure out what is meant using the expression:

[Character Name]: Is there a sugarplum fairy or not?
    [Character Name]: Carter, we've all had hundreds of these discussions... ...and every one of them always hits the same wall. Is there a sugarplum fairy or not? And nobody has ever gotten over that wall.

Thanks a lot .

3. sergiofreeman

Miami Florida
    Spanish
    Sorry for such a delay, I tried once and again to edit it , but I couldn't, conections in Cuba are slow and problematic :( , I don't know why when I finish typing the reply orderly then it is post in a row all together. Is there a sugarplum fairy or not? Hi again, and again from the movie The Bucket List. I can't figure out what is meant using the expression: Is there a sugarplum fairy or not? Edward: Carter, we've all had hundreds of these discussions... ...and every one of them always hits the same wall. Is there a sugarplum fairy or not? And nobody has ever gotten over that wall. I can't understand this expression subject of this post "Is there a sugarplum fairy or not?"

4. sergiofreeman

Miami Florida
    Spanish
    Sorry I can't edit the post from here, I don't know why it goes a sentence after another togueter. :(

5. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

I understand your formatting problems, Sergio, but it would really help if you can tell us a little more about the movie The Bucket List and about the two people who are speaking. That'll save us having to look that stuff up.

I know who the Sugarplum Fairy is, but obviously the term is being used to refer to something besides this character (who is in the ballet The Nutcracker), and I for one can't tell what it might be referring to here if I don't know the context.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  6. JuanEscritor

JuanEscritor Senior Member

Minnesota
    English - AmE
    What are the two talking about? Is there a possible metaphorical meaning you are looking for, or are you just requesting an explanation of the literal meaning of the question?

JE

7. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    I have not seen the movie but it might be trying to say that it is as easy to prove the existence of the sugarplum fairy as it is to prove the existence of a god to one who does not believe.

8. sergiofreeman

Miami Florida
    Spanish
    Edward says to Carter the whole sentence I posted. I would like to know what is a sugarplum fairy and what is the metaphorical meaning in this context. They were ( Edward and Carter) talking about believes,The existence of God and so on. and Edward finally said the statement.

9. cyberpedant

cyberpedant Senior Member

North Adams, MA
    English USA, Northeast, NYC
    Can you get to youtube? If so, search their files for the "sugarplum fairy." As Kate mentioned above, she's a character in a ballet.

10. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    Looks like my guess might be close!
    Substitute "God" for sugar plum fairy and you see the parallel.
    A fairy is a mythical (link to a wiki) being whose existence cannot be proved, it can only be believed in.
    A philosophical discussion of whether "God" exists makes as much progress "over the wall"* as does a discussion of whether a sugar plum fairy exists.

*Getting over the wall here means succeeding in a proof.

11. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

The Sugarplum Fairy is a character in the ballet The Nutcracker (which is traditionally presented on stage and on TV during the Christmas season). She is the ruler of the Land of Sweets, an (imaginary) place designed to appeal to children, who of course generally love candy and other sweets. That's the literal meaning. The character is pretty well-known in the U.S. even by people who'd rather die than watch a ballet.

As for the metaphorical meaning, that is really hard to say without more context and with no more knowledge of the characters than I managed to glean from a Wiki article. But according Wiki, Carter is a believer and Edward is not. My guess is that Edward is comparing God to the Sugarplum Fairy, someone who gives lovely sweets to children and expects nothing in return - and who is, of course, imaginary. And what he's saying here is that while the two of them (Carter and Edward) have had this discussion about God/the Sugarplum Fairy, many times, the point always comes when there's nothing else to say because it can't be proved one way or another. I think that's what is meant by "nobody has ever gotten over that wall."

12. sergiofreeman

Miami Florida
    Spanish
    Now I Can understand, Thank all of you guys for such a help.