Is there any rule when to use "i" and when "un" as negative prefixes?

< Previous | Next >

rosevelvet

spanish (Spain)
I always mess up and do not know when to use one or the other. For example for "resistible" I would say "unresistible" but not it is "irresistible".
The same with "comprehensible", is not "uncomprehensible" but "incomprehensible".
Should I know which prefix goes with every word by heart or is there any rule that could help me remembering it?
Thanks in advance

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Should I know learn which prefix goes with every word by heart.
    Yes, but do not simply sit down and learn a long list - learn them by reading, listening and speaking.
    or is there any rule that could help me remembering it?
    No: There are no rules in English, only guidance. Some guidance looks like a rule; it probably isn't.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    As your native language is Spanish, you can probably use this 'rule of thumb': if a similar word exists in Spanish, it has an in-, i- prefix, so it also has that in English, because we borrowed those words from Latin (possibly via French). Un- is used with native words, that is ones that are not borrowed from Latin/French: unhappy, unbreakable, unwanted. Of course this is not universal; I can immediately think of 'unsuitable' as from a French root. But for the examples you give, and many others, it works.

rosevelvet

spanish (Spain)
    As your native language is Spanish, you can probably use this 'rule of thumb': if a similar word exists in Spanish, it has an in-, i- prefix, so it also has that in English, because we borrowed those words from Latin (possibly via French). Un- is used with native words, that is ones that are not borrowed from Latin/French: unhappy, unbreakable, unwanted. Of course this is not universal; I can immediately think of 'unsuitable' as from a French root. But for the examples you give, and many others, it works.
    I was looking for something like that, thank you very much

< Previous | Next >