Is there morning now?

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

A (from Chongqing) was talking to a native speaker, but he didn’t know the time and I wonder if he could say:

Is there morning now?

If he’s not sure whether in the native speaker’s part of the world is morning or evening. But it’s morning in Chongqing. I guess "Is it morning now" is odd.

I need your help.

Thanks a lot

• Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Oh, you took me aback, RM.

I thought I must be "Is there", would you please go further on it?

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I often talk with my native English speaker pal in New Zealand. I'm in England and I know that she's about 12/13 hours ahead of me, so we often talk in my morning and her late evening/night of the same day or my late night of one day and her morning of the next day.

If I needed to be quite sure of the time difference, I'd say to her ' It's 8.30 PM Tuesday, here (in London), what's your time right now?'

Talking and asking in general, and assuming I had no idea about time differences, I'd say ' Silver, it's Thursday 1.40 AM in London right now, what's the time in Chongqing?' or, ' ... what's your time (right now)?'

I suppose that the general formula is " It's (X time) here, what time is it where you are/ in X place ?"

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I basically agree with Hermione, but I think I'd phrase it more generally: "It's Thursday morning here in Chongqing. What time of day is it there?"

< Previous | Next >