Is there the Internet here?

Li'l Bull

Spanish (Spain)
Hi, native speakers of English!

I've come across this question in the context of a guest who is checking into a hotel and it sounds somewhat strange to me:

Is there the Internet here? (this would be a guest asking a receptionist)

Are you familiar with this way of asking if there is an Internet connection/WiFi at a given place?

Thank you in advance.

• suzi br

English / England
    I guess people would understand it.

Accessing the internet on the move is a relatively new phenomenon, so it will take a while for the "standard" way of asking about it to emerge.

Li'l Bull

Spanish (Spain)
    I guess people would understand it.

Accessing the internet on the move is a relatively new phenomenon, so it will take a while for the "standard" way of asking about it to emerge.
    Thanks, suzi br.

However, I would like to know if the question would strike you as odd/unnatural/foreign if you were a receptionist, or if, on the contrary, it is just one of many ways of putting the question.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    It sounds very strange - wrong, in fact. After thinking about it a while, the reason seems to be that 'there is' requires an indefinite complement:

Is there a Web connexion / power socket here?
    Is there any Internet access here?
    Is there some problem?

And nouns without articles, indicating the thing generally, count as indefinite:

Is there television / Broadband in the rooms?

The following treats the well-known definite 'the Internet' like indefinite television or Broadband, and it seems bad, but not as entirely wrong as your original example:

?? Is there Internet in the rooms?

The same problem occurs with other masses with definite articles:

:thumbsdown: Is there the Shopping Channel in the rooms?

boozer

Bulgarian
    Yes, it would strike me as odd, unnatural and foreign no matter who I was. :) In fact, I think ETB has already analysed the issue masterfully as usual. :)

< Previous | Next >