Is this a "question", a "prompt", or something else?

stefano.rgc

Spanish
Hello everyone,

I am currently writing and email and I am not sure which of the words in blue to use:

Dear Sb,​
I am currently filling in the online form to obtain my registration number.​
One of the questions/prompts/inquiries is the following: "Select the name of the promotor/head of department at the University: [list of names]".​
Could you tell me who is the promotor/head of department?​
Thank you very much for your time.​

The quick answer would be "questions" (I think) but the quoted sentence isn't really a question, isn't it?

Looking forward to your comments!

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    One of the questions/prompts/inquiries is the following: "Select the name of the promotor/head of department at the University: [list of names]".Could you who is the promotor/head of department?
    I can't think of a word... perhaps there isn't one...

I am currently filling in the online form to obtain my registration number and I am asked to "Select the name of the promotor/head of department at the University: [list of names]".Could you [missing words] who is the promotor/head of department?

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    "questions" is fine; it can be used loosely in this context.

Alternatively, you can say "items."

"inquiries" definitely doesn't work; "prompts" is somewhat better (or less bad), but I'm not a fan.

stefano.rgc

Spanish
    I can't think of a word... perhaps there isn't one...

I am currently filling in the online form to obtain my registration number and I am asked to "Select the name of the promotor/head of department at the University: [list of names]".Could you [missing words] who is the promotor/head of department?
    Right! I overlooked it. I edited my post and added the "[missing words]" .

< Previous | Next >