Is this a rain coat, a trench coat, or both?

• ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    I think it could be either. Isn't it also what the British call a "mackintosh"? But maybe "raincoat" describes the purpose of the garment, and "trenchcoat" the style/cut?

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Not necessarily of plastic; it could be oilcloth (which this doesn't appear to be) or ScotchGardTM treated fabric (we can't tell from the photo if it is). This looks like it's from a catalogue; isn't it called one or the other in a caption?

heypresto

English - England
    I think 'mackintosh' is a little dated now. But we still call more or less any raincoat a 'mac', or 'mack'.

I think Oddmania is thinking of what I would call a plastic mack:

They can sometimes look pretty scary. :eek:

Badmonster

English - United States
    Trench coats are a subset of raincoats. It is both. If you want to call to mind that style of coat you will say trench coat. If you say raincoat people are just as likely to envision:
    upload_2017-1-7_13-26-24.png

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    I'm not sure trenchcoats are necessarily (i.e. by definition) waterproof/water-resistant.

(Old joke in UK English:
    "Got a light, Mac?" -
    "No, but I've got a beige raincoat.")

ry95

GB
    English UK
    "Trench coats" and "rain coats" are the same thing in my opinion, although "trench coat" takes me back to the 60's when I had one. I haven't heard the expression of late.

suzi br

English / England
    "Trench coats" and "rain coats" are the same thing in my opinion, although "trench coat" takes me back to the 60's when I had one. I haven't heard the expression of late.
    Google shows that the word trenchcoat is still used by people selling this type of coat in the UK. From Jack Wills to Debenhams.

< Previous | Next >