Is this an elf or a male-fairy, or both of them

Discussion in 'English Only' started by RoRo_en_el_foro, Jan 1, 2014.

1. RoRo_en_el_foro Senior Member

Español Argentina
    Hi, I never caught very well the differences between an elf and a male-fairy, it looks like "male-fairies" are in association to female fairies, like those in Tinkerbell movies or the Fairy Odd Parents show, but out of the female-fairy context it sounds odd, right?

Also, this character has a clover on his T-shirt and I am not sure about what it means. It has to do with Saint Patrick's Day?

I have this coloring page were there is a little boy like 10 years old and tiny, hugging a snail, he has insect-like wings and a clover on his T-shirt, and overall it looks like he is wearing a pajama, nothing "sexy-like". It is called "elf" on the namefile.

It's ok to call him an elf? It's better to call him a fairy because of the wings? Or both of them are right for you?

http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-image-elf-cute-snail-image19229821

2. WyomingSue

WyomingSue Senior Member

Cheyenne, WY
    English--USA
    I would call it a fairy, because it has wings. The St. Patrick's Day "creature" would normally be a leprechaun, but I don't think they have wings. (At least in my limited experience.)

3. RoRo_en_el_foro Senior Member

Español Argentina
    I was searching for "male fairy" on Google images and this is not that, male fairies are all... well they are gay. This is a kid with pajamas and pointed shoes. On Google images, "elves" don't have wings but they are dressed like that and they have that friendly-kid attitude. So I think I will stick with the word "elf" even if he has wings.

I haven't found the meaning of the clover on his shirt.

4. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    In her philosophy final examination, my wife had the question, "If unicorns and fairies are imaginary, how do we know that they are different?" and this shows the difficulty of answering your question. :D

To me, elves are both male and female. Fairies used to be male and female, but, since the early 20th century1, they now seem to be only female.

1 probably due to the influence of "Tinkerbell" in "Peter Pan" by J.M.Barrie.

5. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

Connecticut
    English - US (Midwest)
    On the other hand, due to the influence of J R R Tolkien, I don't consider RoRo's creature to be at all elf-like.