is this an example of irony? why or why not?

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    The words as written are not an example of irony, they are a straightforward statement.

What is ironic, what creates the clash between the expected and the actual, is the huge bulky marine plus his ten-ton backpack - accompanied by two dogs who could probably both stand on one of his hands.

panjandrum said:
    The words as written are not an example of irony, they are a straightforward statement.

What is ironic, what creates the clash between the expected and the actual, is the huge bulky marine plus his ten-ton backpack - accompanied by two dogs who could probably both stand on one of his hands.

Thanks panjandrum. How would one transform this into an irony?

drei

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    "There is a marine in my neighborhood who usually takes walks with a fully loaded backpack. The irony is that he also takes his 2 small toy dogs with him."

There is a marine in my neighbourhood who usually takes walks with a fully loaded backpack. For his personal protection, his wife insists that he always takes along her two ferocious miniature poodles."

I'm not at all sure that I can invent one of these to order:eek:

I.C.

D
    I think it’s an example of humorous incongruity, but not of irony.
    I consider irony to be a subtle mockery involving the idea of a double audience (which in case of irony of fate would be gods who play with mortals). Exception I can think of now would be Romanticist irony, which in my opinion is named incorrectly. Then again, what would I know?

river

U.S. English
    An event that is strikingly different from or the opposite of what one
    would have expected, usually producing a sense of incongruity, is
    ironic. I suppose it would be ironic if the Marine thought he was a big shot for killing a toy poodle.

I.C.

D
    river said:
    An event that is strikingly different from or the opposite of what one
    would have expected, usually producing a sense of incongruity, is
    ironic.
    Yeah well, I view that differently, I think it would just be just Alanis-Morissette irony.