Is this holiday a social or politics celebration event?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by stuartfang, Sep 10, 2011.

1. stuartfang Senior Member

Chinese
    I need to describe a social or politics celebration events in my culture. So I wonder if the Mid-Autumn Festival counts. It's a traditional Chinese Festival and I cannot think of any counterpart in western cultures. The festival is celebrated for family reunion. I'm not sure whether it is one of social or politics celebration events. I think a typical such event should be an election or a parade for holding the World Cup or something.

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    If you have an assignment to write about a social celebration, then I would say that Mid-Autumn Festival qualifies -- especially as it's a reunion holiday, when Chinese people get together with their families. It is not a political festival. Perhaps a somewhat similar holiday is Thanksgiving -- not an exact match, but certainly a holiday when families get together.

I'm think that this may be a cultural, rather than a language, question, so I'm hoping this might be enough to satisfy you. :)

3. Hermione Golightly

Hermione Golightly Senior Member

London
    British English
    Political means in a very general sense something to do with the government of a country or local government especially when political parties are involved. A political event would certainly be an election or an event associated with an election. Or a political event might be to do with future policies.
    From what you say the Mid Autumn Festival is a social event to do with people and families, nothing to do with government. I wouldn't say that celebrating winning the World Cup is 'political', not in the UK.

Hermione

4. Fabulist Banned

Annandale, Virginia, USA
    American English
    We would not say, at least not in AE, a "politics celebration." We would call a holiday like our Independence Day a "political celebration."

I'm not qualified to advise whether the particular event you are asking about qualifies as a political celebration.