is this show still on/off

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
Hi, there

I would like to know if, when I want to know if some show is still on the air, I can use the preposition on?

"Is this show still on/off?"
"Did that show came back on?"

Thank you

• Juhasz

English - United States
    I'd say it's acceptable. It can be ambiguous, though, since the listener wouldn't know, except from context, whether you meant is it on (that is, being broadcast) right at this moment? or is the show currently being aired on Thursday nights?

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    I'd say it's acceptable. It can be ambiguous, though, since the listener wouldn't know, except from context, whether you meant is it on (that is, being broadcast) right at this moment? or is the show currently being aired on Thursday nights?
    In the context of those two sentences, "on" is fine. It means on air, showing, screening, as against off air.

But if I say "is this show still on?", do I have to place "television" after "on"?

Would it be better to say "is this show still playing/showing/running?"?

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    What would you say? Don't you say "is this show still on air/running?"?

Juhasz

English - United States
    I would say, "is this show still on?" and assume from context that my meaning would be understood; it's ambiguous, but not too ambiguous. If I wanted to be absolutely sure that my meaning would be understood, I'd say, "is the show still airing/being made?"

dermott

B.E. via Australian English
    But if I say "is this show still on?", do I have to place "television" after "on"?
    No. You're talking about a show on television. "Television" is understood.

Would it be better to say "is this show still playing/showing/running?"?
    As per your OP, you can say, "Is this show still on?". It's natural, idiomatic, and would be understood. "Playing" isn't wrong, but less likely. "Showing" is all right, but also less likely. I wouldn't use "running". "Running" can also mean "in production", "being made/produced", which is asking a different question. A show can be in production, being made, without being shown on air. Your question asks whether the show is on air.

< Previous | Next >