Is this what you were referring to/talking about?

Micaela92

English, U.S.
こんにちは、

この通訳は正しいですか

これは状況です;誰かは私に特別のカードを貰うことが必要ですと言いました。実は健康保険証です。郵便で一つカードを貰ったけれど健康保険証かどうか分かりません。それからこの人にこの質問をしたいです。

私の試み:

これは山田さんの話すのことですか (山田さんは問題の人物です)Is this what (you/yamadasan) was referring to/talking about?

ありがとうございます!

• wind-sky-wind

Japanese
    これが山田さんの言っていたものですか?
    これが山田さんが言っていた特別のカード(健康保険証)ですか?

Native speakers would say "これ、山田さんが言ってたやつ?"

frequency

Japanese
    (Cross-posted with Wind)

これは山田さんが言っていたものですか?
    We use the past continuous, 言っていた. But this is just the way we do.

これは山田さんの話すことですか
    の is really annoying. I've seen many people are afflicted with this particle.
    When you connect a verb to こと, omit の.
    話すこと・話したこと
    言うこと・言ったこと
    聞くこと・聞いたこと
    etc..

Last edited:

Micaela92

English, U.S.
    Frequency, 答えをありがとうございます。これは私の訂正です。

But this is just the way we do.

の is really annoying. I've seen many people are afflicted with this particle.
    etc..
    Remember: Do not begin a sentence with "but". This results in a sentence fragment.
    REVISED: This is just the way we do it.

REVISED:
    I've seen many people afflicted with this particle. OR I've seen many people who are afflcted with this particle.
    This is striclty a grammatical correction for the second sentence. However, it still sounds a little odd. However, I understand the feel you're trying to create in this sentence by portraying the の particle as if it were some kind of plague tormenting Japanese language learners. 笑 Perhaps you would choose to word it this way:

I've seen many people who have been infected by this excessive particle use.

frequency

Japanese
    Remember: Do not begin a sentence with "but".
    Casually okay. Strictly it's not good, yes.

REVISED: This is just the way we do it.
    This is just the way that we do. And I'm omitting 'that'.

I've seen many people who have been infected by this excessive particle use.
    Check the verb infect.
    I'm not talking about the excessive use. Moreover, I don't understand infected by this excessive particle use. How can the use infect people?

frequency

Japanese
    REVISED: I've seen many people afflicted with this particle.
    This is okay. Then I suppose that you understand what I said; why did you use the verb 'infect'?
    A present perfect + that + present passive is okay. Mine would be better if I'd do more carefully:

I've seen that many people have difficulty (in) using this particle.

Again, I didn't say, furthermore, 'this excessive particle use' at all. I suppose what you wanted to say is: the excessive use of this particle (の).

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >